Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Flat as a doorknob.


Things have become more routine. I mean, of course they have, that's what they do, but I think that's the most notable thing about the last couple of weeks. And I mean it in a few different ways. One example is that at the end of each of the first three days of school, I managed to leave the parking lot & then go the wrong way three different ways. It takes a very special person to do that & I am that person. Only one wrong route was so drastic & confusing that it entailed a phone call to Adam for guidance. Today I noticed another thing that I guess falls under the heading of more routine: I was combing my mannequin's hair & spraying it with water so I could roll it on a roller & what I noticed was that I wasn't having to think so hard about the little things. I was combing it & smoothing it, etc, etc, & it didn't feel funny, it wasn't noticeable. I was spraying water all over my hands & they were all slippery with this industrial pink gel we use for anything & I just wasn't really noticing it. A week ago I would have had to think harder about every little thing. Now I was able to concentrate on the task at hand. I thought, "I'm combing this hair like a person who does hair!" At least sorta. So I feel like I'm getting somewhere.
I still feel a bit apart, though I like & get along with pretty much everyone (with the exception of one girl, who I'll refer to only as Bitchy Bitch, & no one really likes her). It's not actually a lonely feeling, nor is it unfamiliar. It's just less of a shared experience in some ways. I mean, we share everything, in that all the students in class are doing pretty much the same thing at the same time. My favorite example of what I mean, what I might be looking for & not finding is this: we were discussing styling products & the teacher said, "You wouldn't want to put a heavy gel on fine hair because that would weigh it down. It would be as flat as a doorknob." Flat as a doorknob? I looked around the room to see if there was anyone who, like me, was thinking that doorknobs are not, in fact, at all flat. And...no. No one else was fighting back a smile or rolling their eyes.
We've moved from finger waves (which I finally got, but never got good at), to pin curls (which I got, kinda liked, & got pretty good at), to roller setting (which I'm liking). The picture up there is of one my mannequins after I combed out & styled her roller set (I may make it a practice, when I cut people's hair, to write my name on pieces of scotch tape & put it on their foreheads while scrawling "Steve" across their necks). I liked how that one turned out & I hated having to wash it out & start all over again. I don't know if we started with finger waves, which I think most people found most difficult, as some kind of weeding out strategy or if there was some deeper reasoning. I'm glad we're done with them, though I know we're not really done with them. Oh, they'll be back, I know they will.
There was a lot of drama one day. Our uniforms are all black, shirt & pants, & we are required to wear black shoes & socks with it. The shoes & socks have to be all black. Why is this? I don't know. Nor do I really care. It's what we have to do & ok, it's not very hard, I'll just do it. Right? All the sudden one morning they started pointing out to people that their shoes & socks were not acceptable, they were black but had white stitching or designs or whatever. People were told that they either had to take a Sharpie & blacken the white parts of their shoes or go home. So most people started coloring their shoes. Sunshine was one of the ones who had white on her shoes. She'd also just been told that she had to cover up her eyebrow piercing, which I think they'd gone back & forth on originally. Sunshine, feeling beleaguered & put-upon, said that she thought her shoes were fine. The teacher said that she could plead her case to the director, which she had told a couple of other people who had gone & done so, only to return & sit down with a Sharpie & start coloring their shoes. Sunshine left the room & then came back about three minutes later saying, "I have to go home now," & started gathering up her things. My seat is closest to the door & the teacher had a conversation with Sunshine by the door, so I was ideally placed to overhear.
Teacher: Why do you have to leave?
Sunshine: I don't know!
Teacher: Can't you just color in the white parts of your shoes?
Sunshine: I don't know! I went in to ask her & as I walked in, I said to myself, "Why does everyone have to be such a bitch today?"
Teacher: Oh. That wasn't a good thing to say.
Sunshine: I was just saying it to myself!
Teacher: But out loud? As you walked in the director's office?
Sunshine: Yeah.
So Sunshine went home for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment