Monday, September 20, 2010

They call me Nature Girl.

Before I get started with the rest of this post, I want to thank everyone who wrote me after the last one, "You're too smart for that." Some of you commented here, some on Facebook, some of you emailed me, & some of you talked to me. I guess it struck a chord with a lot of you, which is gratifying to me as...a writer? Or whatever you want to call what I do here. I tried to answer everything, but I'm not sure that I did, so I wanted to say how much I appreciated hearing from everyone. Now, back to our irregularly scheduled blah blah...

The desire to change me has stepped up among my fellow students. At least once a week, someone suggests that I a. grow my bangs long, b. highlight my hair, c. wear more eye makeup, &/or d. grow my nails longer. I look around & realize what they mean is: look like us. I am the only one there with what I think of as real bangs (above my eyebrows), possibly the only one who is wearing lipstick, & among a very few with only my natural haircolor (virgin hair, it's called, when there are no chemicals in it), minimal eye makeup, & short nails. Now, I'm not opposed to change (& have in fact cut my hair from below shoulder-length to a short bob since I've been there) & I'm not saying that I would never do any of these things (well, I'm not going to grow long nails because I think they're icky), but these suggestions do seem to come from a place of conformity. One girl, who I like for the most part, touched my hair & called me "Nature Girl" because I wasn't wearing hair spray. Nature Girl! Now, I consider that as something of a compliment, which I don't think is how she meant it. This same girl offered to fix my hair on class picture day (Glamour Shots-style pictures, no lie) & when I said, "No, this is how I like my hair," she replied, "Messy & poufy?" I thought about it for a minute & then said, "Well, actually, yeah. That describes what I like pretty well." I guess the implication is that I couldn't possibly look the way I do on purpose, I couldn't have put any thought into it. I'm just accidentally filing my nails down & too lazy to highlight my hair. I have noticed that especially among students who have been there for a while, there are very strong trends. For a while, everyone (& by everyone, I mean about ten or twelve girls) had extremely bleached out bobs, some with a peek-a-boo color (meaning a darker or brighter color on the underneath layer of their hair). Now they're all going with a dark reddish brown. I think it takes a strong sense of self to resist the constant pressure to change. We'll see how I do.
I had a really delightful client on Friday. She was a pleasure to talk to, interesting & funny, & she had lovely hair. I'm not complaining about the other people I've had, but it was really refreshing to have someone who I could kinda relate to. She looked good when I was done (color & cut) & said she'd ask for me the next time she came back & bring her sons in for haircuts, too, so I'm hoping I just got my first repeat customer lined up.
I'm also cutting hair at home (or at other people's homes) & practicing blowouts on whoever will let me. It's nice to be free from the eyes of the teachers; with some things I might miss their guidance, but I'm trying to be aware of my limitations & work within them. I'm not going to try to do anything on my own that I'm not pretty sure of. I've appreciated how patient everyone is with me (I'm not doing anything fast at this point) & that they trust me enough to let me at their heads. I've gotten support in a million different ways since I started this, from Adam who helped me decide & take the leap & get started & who gets up in the morning with me, to David who invited me to come observe at his salon, to the people who read this & let me know what they think. Those of you who let me practice on you are giving me another kind of support. I can't thank any of you enough.

7 comments:

  1. I know you have a strong sense of self; it is something I admire about you. The Christina we know and love will remain intact after this experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. want to blow out my hair? and make it look messy and poufy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny how different people's perceptions are: I always thought (and still do) that you were one of the most stylish women (face, hair, make-up AND dress) I knew. And just so you know...I have nothing in my hair either! it's hairspray/product free and I'm sure pretty messy. Course, I dye the dickens out of it so I can't really get the nature girl compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to reply to your last post - I think you're incredibly smart to pursue something you enjoy. And do resist the current beauty school trends - you are lovely the way you are. I have to admit that my own hairdresser has HUGE hair that is dyed and she uses copious amounts of hair spray. I would never want my hair to look like hers, but she is great at cutting hair, and that's all that really matters.

    Stough is desperately in need of a hair cut, but he would be a difficult and ungrateful client, so I'm not sure you would want to take him on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd much, much rather have you cut my hair than have Them cut my hair!
    Cute bob or hair helmet? You win hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, thanks, I hope so. Not unchanged, but intact!
    Liz, absolutely yes! Your place or mine?
    Kristin, you have enviably beautiful hair! I can't believe there's no stuff in it! And thanks!
    Sue, it is definitely true that your hairstylist can have hair that you think is...not so awesome, but still do a great job on yours (which she does, your hair always looks lovely). And I should add, a lot of these girls are literally half my age. I've had blonde hair & long nails & worn lots of eye makeup & know that none of those are super flattering for me. But everyone needs to try things out for themselves. I actually secretly like the peek-a-boo color stuff. And I would certainly cut Stough's hair if you'd like me to, no problem. Adam would love an excuse to come over & visit you all & indulge his Chuck crush. Don't tell him I said that.
    Anne, thanks! I love that you capitalized Them! Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your style, always have.

    Your post made me smile a little. I live just up the street from an Aveda training salon, so Ben and I see the stylists-in-training wandering around after classes or sitting outdoors on their lunch breaks. The other day Ben remarked how much the same they all look and that most of them have the same bleached blond hair and what he called "the architectural bob."

    I also wish you could cut my hair!

    ReplyDelete