Wednesday, November 17, 2010

If someone asks, this is where I'll be.


There's something to be said for starting over. For being, at 40, an absolute beginner. I've always thought that it's useful to have the experience of being an only: the only woman in a room full of men; the only white person at an event attended by an otherwise all-black audience; the only something, somewhere. Suddenly becoming a minority has the effect of making you understand a little those who live their lives as minorities. Starting over feels analogous to that: being a beginner makes me remember all the other times I was ever finding my way through something new, makes me admire & appreciate the people who have mastered the skills I'm learning now, has me looking forward to the day when I feel equal to whatever task might be set before me. Not, however, imagining a day when *poof* I'm all done learning! Because I hope & imagine that that day never comes.

We're not the new ones out on the floor anymore: the next class has just come out of the classroom. So we've been moved along the wall to our new stations. It's a point of pride to not be on the first wall anymore, a point that only the students know, not the clients. I have a station with more than twice the storage space of my old one, so now each day does not end doing a puzzle called Fit All These Oddly-Shaped Items Into This Very Cramped Cabinet. It was awful. If I got something wrong, sometimes I had to pull it all out & start over. Like a Rubik's Cube, only less fun. And I never liked Rubik's Cubes, so I didn't think they were very fun in the first place. But at least I never had to try to do one down on my knees in bits of cut hair.
I still feel like a stranger in a strange land, when the people around me talk about how prohibitively expensive taxidermy is or how many tanning minutes they have left or how they wish they'd gotten a wedding dress with camouflage on it (I swear I am not making any of this up). I am in the minority here & how. But I find that it doesn't matter as much as it might. I have my little group of friends: Amber, Mercedes, Michelle, & (you all saw this coming, right?) Sunshine. We eat lunch together, study together, sit together during class. Our stations all used to be very close together & mostly they still are, except Sunshine is way up front away from the rest of us. She waves sadly sometimes & we all wave back. We're a funny group, a mishmash: Mercedes is the youngest, she's 20, but by far the most steady & mature. And also possibly the most skilled of all of us. She's a tall, sturdy black girl with amazing cheekbones, a truly radiant smile, & the biggest most fabulous head of natural hair you have ever seen. Amber is 25, tall & skinny, a pretty tomboy with two kids & a part-time job a Food Lion. She's my closest friend there & I truly adore her. She's also impossibly goofy. She & Mercedes are what make my days. And the two of them together are hilarious, like an improbable sitcom. Michelle is 23, angel-faced & blonde, with a five year old daughter. She's funny & smarter than you'd think at first. Possibly the prettiest girl in the school, she & I are always being given men's haircuts to do, to the point where it's a joke between us. I always imagine the men, mostly old timers who appreciate the $6 price of our haircuts, are elated when they see her coming to get them. And Sunshine, well now, Sunshine: she's 34, very tan, the mother of two teenage girls. She's from Tennessee & her accent is like nothing I've ever heard. She's tough & loyal & funny & she knows how to work hard & hustle a little if needed (she has business cards she gives out, so people can ask for her again, though her name is pretty easy to remember without a card). I feel pretty certain that if someone said anything against me or tried to do wrong by me, these girls would be right there if I needed them. Certainly Mercedes & especially Amber have been there for me when I had some truly rotten days. So while I'll never feel like I fit in, I have what I need: people who I like, who like me, with whom I pass the time & share my days.
(That photo at the top is totally unrelated to anything in this post: it's just an updo that I did on my mannequin & liked enough to take a picture of.)

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts! I will say that I'm attempting another salon next week hoping to find the 'right' one, and as I was looking I was thinking...I'll sure be glad when Xtina is done so I can go to her! So...done yet? what about now?

    ReplyDelete